Your home should provide you with sanctuary from the rest of the world. When you get home at the end of a long day, you can shut out the world, sit in your favorite chair and breathe a sigh of relief — or can you?
That deep breath you take could make you sick if you have a hidden danger in your home. Many people are unaware that their homes contain black mold that is making them sick. When you rented or purchased the place, you had no idea of the danger that lurked inside the walls, and the landlord, construction contractor or previous owner failed to make sure the home was free of the toxic substance or make the proper disclosures.
Health issues that could indicate a black mold problem
If your home does contain black mold, you and the members of your family, including your children, will more than likely suffer from one or more of the following health conditions:
- Eyes that are constantly itchy and watery. You may attribute this to exhaustion or hay fever, but it could be due to black mold.
- A constant feeling of fatigue. You may attribute it to your hectic work and personal schedules, but black mold could cause it.
- Body aches. If your muscles always feel heavy, sore and fatigued, you could have a black mold problem.
- Wheezing with a thick, productive cough. Black mold could easily cause upper respiratory issues.
- Unexplained rashes. You may need to check your home for mold.
These issues may seem like more of a nuisance than anything else, but if they worsen, you could find yourself in need of emergency medical care. If you have children or an elderly relative who lives with you, the presence of mold could jeopardize their health. If your immune system is compromised, you may be more susceptible as well.
Don’t suffer in silence
If you suspect that black mold could be causing your health issues, you probably need help. You should probably not attempt to resolve your mold issue on your own. Just as you would turn to someone with experience in identifying and removing this toxic substance, you may also want to turn to someone with experience resolving the legal issues surrounding this problem as well.
You may be able to pursue monetary and non-monetary damages from the person or people responsible for your current predicament. In order to gain an understanding of your legal rights and options, it may be worthwhile to make use of the legal resources here in the Raleigh area.