You have recently invested in a rental property with plans to accumulate more in North Carolina. Your next step is finding tenants to live in the property so you can enjoy the financial profits. Doing your research and holding your renters to a high standard will help guarantee that your property remains in livable conditions. However, if you do not put any guidelines in place, you could be left to foot the bill when costly repairs and consequences need to be taken care of.
As you begin your search, it is critical that you pay close attention to some key characteristics while screening potential tenants. According to The Landlord Protection Agency, some of the things you should be looking for include the following:
- Credit score: Does the person you are looking at have a consistently good credit score? Does it reflect his or her ability to pay debts in a timely manner?
- Respect: Does the tenant demonstrate respect? You can begin to assess this by observing his or her language, communication and timeliness.
- Honesty: Is the tenant honest? Does he or she seem to be forthright and prompt when answering your questions?
- Cleanliness: Does the tenant seem like someone that is clean and well kept? If he or she has pets, do you have some type of agreement in place for pet-related damages?
- Ability to pay: Does the person you are considering have a stable job that will allow him or her to make payments on time each month?
The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.